January 1, 2010

2010 Reading Challenge: Chunkster Challenge


I have decided that the Chunkster Challenge would be a good challenge to attempt as I'm sure during the course of a year I'm bound to read enough chunky books to complete this challenge. It will be interesting to see just how many chunky books I do read...
There are three levels to this challenge and I have decided to be ambitious and attempt the highest level, Mor-book-ly Obese, and as it states 6 or more I've decided that 12 chunksters is going to be my goal.

Definition of a Chunkster:
A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction)... A chunkster should be a challenge.

If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more ... The average large type book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.

Levels:
1. The Chubby Chunkster
- this option is for the reader who has a couple of large tomes on their TBR list, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. 3 books is all you need to finish this challenge.

2. Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big?
- this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to 4 Chunksters over the next twelve months.

3. Mor-book-ly Obese
- This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 6 or more chunksters OR three tomes of 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.

--For myself I have set a target of 12 chunksters.

Here are the rules:
1. No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn't seem right. Words on paper for this one folks.

2. No e-Books allowed - we are reading traditional, fat books for this challenge.

3. Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted
.

4. Books may crossover with other challenges


5. Anyone may join
. If you don't have a blog, just leave me a comment on this post with your progress (and to let me know you are playing)

6. You don't need to list your books ahead of time.


7. Once you pick a level, that's it...you're committed to that level!



Books read so far:
1. The Spell Of Rosette by Kim Falconer (528p)
2. Arrows Of Time by Kim Falconer (576p)
3. Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein (655p)
4. Strange Attractors by Kim Falconer (576p)
5. The Dark Mirror by Juliet Marillier (560p)
6. Blade Of Fortriu by Juliet Marillier (551p)




6/12 books read. 50%done!

No comments:

Post a Comment